POMPEI ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: The Villa of Mysteries – crown jewel of the ancient city of Pompeii restored. Pompeii, and its neglect left Italy at risk of losing EU funding. THE TELEGRAPH U.K., | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

POMPEI ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: The Villa of Mysteries - crown jewel of the ancient city of Pompeii restored. Pompeii, and its neglect left Italy at risk of losing EU funding. THE TELEGRAPH U.K., | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

POMPEI ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: The Villa of Mysteries – crown jewel of the ancient city of Pompeii restored. Pompeii, and its neglect left Italy at risk of losing EU funding. THE TELEGRAPH U.K., | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

Foto: POMPEI, “Restauri in corso nella Sala del triclinio 1 (01|05|2014)” in: MIBACT (20|03|2015).

1). The crown jewel of the ancient city of Pompeii restored – Villa of Mysteries, which was destroyed in AD 79 by an eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Pompeii, is a Unesco World Heritage Site and its neglect left Italy at risk of losing EU funding. THE TELEGRAPH U.K., (20|03|2015).

Italy unveiled the restored crown jewel of the ancient city of Pompeii on Friday, showing off a rare success story as it races to shore up the site marred by such mismanagement and neglect that it risked losing EU funding and its Unesco World Heritage site listing.

Dario Franceschini, the Italian culture minister, cut the ribbon to open the restored Villa of Mysteries, a spectacular estate on the outskirts of Pompeii’s city centre that features some of the best-preserved frescoes of the site.

Mr Franceschini said that while problems still remain at Pompeii, Italy was on schedule to meet a European Union deadline to spend €105 million (£76 million) in EU funds by the end of the year for maintenance and restoration projects.

While only three projects have been completed, 13 are underway and some €65 million has been awarded in contracts, officials said. In addition, 85 people have been hired to work on the site and visitor numbers last year were 200,000 more than in 2013.

“We know well that the world looks with great attention at everything that happens at Pompeii,” Mr Franceschini said as he stood before a fresco of Dionysius and Aphrodite in the villa’s main salon. “Today, Italy is proud to say to the world that we have turned a page.”

Pompeii, a busy commercial city overlooking the Mediterranean, was destroyed in AD 79 by an eruption of Mount Vesuvius that killed thousands of people and buried the city in 20 feet (six metres) of volcanic ash. But the ash also helped preserve Pompeii’s treasures, providing precious information about life in the ancient world.
The first excavations began in the 18th century, but even today only two-thirds of the site’s 60 hectares (150 acres) have been uncovered.

In recent years, Pompeii has been bedevilled by neglect and mismanagement characteristic of Italy’s underdeveloped south, as well as brushes with the corruption that has infected some other important public works in Italy, including its Expo 2015 World’s Fair in Milan and the Moses water barrier project in Venice.

Hit by heavy rains, some of Pompeii’s walls have literally crumbled.

The 2010 collapse of the Villa of Gladiators, and further collapses at Pompeii the following year, caused such international alarm that the EU stepped forward with funding and Italy created a mini-administration to govern the restoration project and make sure it wasn’t infiltrated by the mafia.

Among other things, the EU project called for the site to be shored up and for a drainage system to be built. But Italy’s chronic bureaucratic delays prevented progress and the EU made clear it that Italy would lose the money if it did not use it by December 31.

At the same time, Unesco threatened to take Pompeii off its World Heritage list – a coveted designation that inspires many of the site’s more than 2 million visitors each year. A Unesco inspection in November, however, acknowledged that progress had been made.

Mr Franceschini quoted from the Unesco report, which said any question about Pompeii’s place on the list had been “overcome” and that there had been a “profound change in the behaviour” of its administration.
Mr Franceschini said Italy was in negotiations with private firms to fund other restoration projects for Pompeii, evidence that private donors are increasingly having an important footprint in caring for Italy’s most iconic treasures, which have earned it 50 Unesco World Heritage listings, more than any other country.
Shoemaker Tod’s is footing the €25 million bill to restore the Colosseum, jeweller Bulgari is cleaning up Rome’s Spanish Steps and the government last year passed an initiative to give culture restoration donors a 65 per cent tax credit.

“Private resources can be integrated with public ones, but cannot replace them,” Mr Franceschini said. “The vastness of our patrimony will always require a huge commitment of public resources.”

FONTE | SOURCE:

— THE TELEGRAPH U.K., (20|03|2015).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11486295/The-crown-jewel-of-the-ancient-city-of-Pompeii-restored.html

2). RIAPRE LA VILLA DEI MISTERI A POMPEI. FRANCESCHINI, VERO CAMBIO PASSO, MIBACT, ROMA | POMPEI (20|03|2015).

“In occasione della restituzione ai visitatori italiani e stranieri della Villa dei Misteri – dichiara il Ministro dei beni e delle attività culturali e del turismo, Dario Franceschini – registro con soddisfazione e orgoglio che ci sono miglioramenti molto importanti nello stato di conservazione dell’intero sito archeologico di Pompei e nella sua gestione. Nell’ultimo anno, grazie al forte impegno della Soprintendenza e della Direzione del Grande Progetto, l’Italia ha compiuto sforzi considerevoli. Come recentemente riconosciuto dall’Unseco – ha proseguito il Ministro – i risultati sono ‘tangibili e significativi’ dal momento che sono state eseguite sostanziali opere di restauro, principalmente nel contesto del Grande Progetto Pompei ma anche nell’ambito del programma di manutenzione ordinaria. Tutto questo è stato possibile grazie a un lavoro intenso, scrupoloso e metodico. Ci aspettiamo ancora grandi frutti – ha concluso il ministro – dall’opera appassionata e capace di chi è quotidianamente al lavoro sul pieno recupero degli scavi, ma il bilancio di quest’anno è positivo: c’è stato un vero e proprio cambio di passo e questo ci fa guardare con ottimismo alla rinascita di Pompei”.

In allegato cartella stampa sulle attività 2014 della Soprintendenza Speciale di Pompei, Ercolano e Stabia e della Direzione Generale Grande Progetto Pompei.

FONTE | SOURCE & FOTO FONTE:

— ROMA | POMPEI | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

http://www.beniculturali.it/mibac/export/MiBAC/sito-MiBAC/Contenuti/MibacUnif/Comunicati/visualizza_asset.html_392157202.html

3). RIAPRE LA VILLA DEI MISTERI A POMPEI. FRANCESCHINI, VERO CAMBIO PASSO, MIBACT, ROMA | POMPEI (20|03|2015).

3.1). PDF = Cartella Stampa: Villa dei Misteri | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

3.1). PDF = Cartella Stampa: Villa dei Misteri | RIAPRE LA VILLA DEI MISTERI A POMPEI | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

3.2). PDF = Cartella Stampa: Pompei | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

3.2). PDF = Cartella Stampa: Pompei | RIAPRE LA VILLA DEI MISTERI A POMPEI | MIBACT (20|03|2015).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s