ROMA ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: ROME, Prof. Amanda Claridge, “Hadrian’s Succession and the Monuments of Trajan” [= IL TEMPLUM DIVI TRAIANI ET DIVIAE PLOTINAE], [PDF] pp. 5-18; in: T. Opper, ‘Hadrian: Arts, Politics and Economy.’ BMRP, no. 175 (2013). Foto: Dr. Paola Baldassari (2013).
PDF = ROME, Prof. Amanda Claridge, “Hadrian’s Succession and the Monuments of Trajan” [= IL TEMPLUM DIVI TRAIANI ET DIVIAE PLOTINAE], [PDF] pp. 5-18; in: T. Opper, ‘Hadrian: Arts, Politics and Economy.’ BMRP, no. 175 (2013).
FONTE | SOURCE:
— Prof. Amanda Claridge, “Hadrian’s Succession and the Monuments of Trajan” [PDF] pp. 5-18; in: Thorsten Opper (ed.), ‘Hadrian: Arts, Politics and Economy;’ British Museum Press, 2013. p. 5-18 (British Museum Research Publication; No. 175).
Prof. Amanda Claridge | ACADEMIA.EDU [02|2015]
FOTO | FONTE | SOURCE:
— Dott.ssa Paola Baldassari (2013) = ” Fig. 1. [p. 373] Roma, Palazzo Valentini. Rilievo integrato degli ambienti sotterranei con la planimetria dei rinvenimenti archeologici delle campagne 2005-2007, 2009-2010; in verde a tratteggio due tronconi di colonne in granito grigio individuati nel 1939, riposizionati sulla base di Buzzetti 1989-1990, p. 487, fig. 37; in azzurro i carotaggi 1993 lungo il perimetro del Palazzo, riposizionati sulla base di Meneghini 1996, p. 71, fig. 29 (ril. R. Stocco, A. Capponi, R. Sandri)”; in:
Dott.ssa P. Baldassarri, ‘ALLA RICERCA DEL TEMPIO PERDUTO: INDAGINI ARCHEOLOGICHE A PAL. VALENTINI E IL TEMPLUM DIVI TRAIANI ET DIVIAE PLOTINAE,’ ArchCl. LXIV (2013), pp. 371-481. [PDF], pp. 1-2. http://wp.me/pPRv6-2pa
— ROMA ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: Prof. A. Claridge, “Hadrian’s lost temple of Trajan”, in JRA 20, 2007, [PDF, p. 55 of] pp. 54-94.
PDF = PDF = Prof. A. Claridge, «Hadrian’s lost temple of Trajan», in JRA 20, 2007, [PDF, p. 55 of] pp. 54-94.
Note: ROMA ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: “IL TEMPLUM DIVI TRAIANI ET DIVIAE PLOTINAE” (2007-15).
For contemporay English-speaking scholars and students interested in the recent debates as to the present location of the ‘remains’ Temple of Divine Trajan | “IL TEMPLUM DIVI TRAIANI ET DIVIAE PLOTINAE” (2007-15), over the course of the last several years, numerous Italian | foreign scholars & Italian university students have proposed several various conjectural reconstructions of the Temple of Trajan, as noted in the following published works below. *
Likewise, numerous Italian | foreign scholars & Italian university students have published a great deal of new information on the important investigations conducted at the “L’ ATHENAEUM DI ADRIANO” located in the adjoining area of the Piazza Madonna dei Loreto, located between the area of the Piazza Venezia and the Column of Trajan (2007-14), as noted in the following published works below. **
Having read Prof. Claridge recent work on the Temple of Trajan and the Column of Trajan (2013), as well as hearing from colleagues in Rome, about her recent lecture presentation in Rome about the Forum of Trajan (i.e., “Re-reading Trajan’s Forum after the new excavations,” Wednesday 23 April 2014 18.00 – 19.30, BSR | ROME by: Amanda Claridge (Royal Holloway, University of London) = [ http://www.bsr.ac.uk/re-reading-trajans-forum-after-the-new-excavations ], as well as reading here early article on the Temple of Trajan in the JRA 20, 2007.
After reeading Prof. Claridge works on the Temple of Trajan (2013 | 2007), had these two works been published by an entry level university or graduate student interested in the field of Ancient Roman Art, Archaeology, Architecture or History, etc; it would be possible to overlook the limited amount of effort of put forth by Prof. Claridge’s research, fact-checking and the cross-referencing of critical sources information [i.e., On-Site, Archival | Museum | Library Collections, as well possible discussions with other Italian | foreign scholars & Italian university students affiliated] and relating to the recent research and investigations of the Temple & Column of Trajan in Rome, since 2005 onwards.
But, Prof. Claridge, as the former “Assistant – Director of the British School of Rome” (1980-1994), both of these poorly researched and poorly written works, add little accurate, creditable and reliable information beneficial to her professional peers (i.e., Italian, English and other foreign scholars | students) interested in the recent research pertaining to the proper architectural design and important political and social function of the Temple of Trajan and the adjoining area of the Column of Trajan in Roman antiquity.
To sum up Prof. Claridge’s recent research on the area of Temple of Trajan (2013|2007), as well as that of the recent work by several of her other Italian scholarly peers in Rome: Prof. Andrea Carandini, Prof. Eugenio La Rocca, and Dr. Roberto Meneghini, the proper Italian phase to describe their inaccurate and incomplete published works would be: “Bello ma, inutile!”
Or more bluntly put, just “Nonsense,” as noted by Italian topographer Prof. Rodolfo Lanciani in 1897, cited here below:
“…Before closing this brief preface, I must warn students against a tendency which is occasionally observable in books and papers on the topography of Rome, — that of upsetting and condemning all received notions on the subject, in order to substitute fanciful theories of a new type.” (…) “Yet there are people willing to try the experiment, only to waste their own time and make us lose ours in considering their attempts. Temples of the gods are cast away from their august seats, and relegated to places never heard of before; gates of the city are swept away in a whirlwind till they fly before our eyes like one of Dante’s visions; diminutive ruins are magnified into the remains of great historical buildings; designs are produced of monuments which have never existed.”
Prof. Rodolfo Lanciani,
‘The Ruins and Excavations of Ancient Rome,’
Boston: New York (1897), p. ix.
Martin G. Conde
Washington DC, USA
3 March 2015.
ROMA “IL TEMPLUM DIVI TRAIANI ET DIVIAE PLOTINAE” & “L’ ATHENAEUM DI ADRIANO” Further reading and references (2008-15).
– Andrea Carandini (2015) = Prof. Andrea Carandini, Prof. Paolo Carafa, & Dott.ssa Maria Teresa D’Alessio, ‘IMAGO URBIS – Lazio, Roma e Suburbio,’ SAPIENZA UNIVERSITA`DI ROMA, ARCUS S.pa., & Soprintendenza Speciale per i Beni Archeologici di Roma (2014-14). Forthcoming (2015) see: “Tav. 54 | Regione VIII | Forum Traiani | Templum | Athenaeum. 113-138 d.C” in: http://wp.me/pPRv6-2NG
– A. Carandini | P. Carafa (2012-13) = Andrea Carandini e Prof. Paolo Carafa (a cura di), ‘ATLANTE DI ROMA ANTICA. Biografia e ritratti della città,’ Voll. I-II, Electa (2012). Electa / opuscolo (17/06/2012), pp. 1-14 [pp. 11 e 12 di 14]. See: s.v, Tav. 54 = Region VIII, Forum Traiani, Templum, Athenaeum, 125-138 d.C.
– A. Carandini | F. Cavallero, “IL TEMPIO DEI DIVI TRAIANO E PLOTINA.” Roma Antica – Esclusivo. ARCHEOLOGIA VIVA, No. 149, Sett.- Ott. (2011), p. 53. http://wp.me/pPRv6-17s
– Roberto Meneghini (2014), in: Francesca Pajno, “Managing archive documents regarding an archaeological site. An on-going project for the Imperial Fora in Rome,” [PDF], pp. 1-6, in: CIDOC conference, Desden, Germany (11|2014). “Present Time. Reconstructive Plan of the Imperial Fora on the present topography [= Meneghini 2010| 2007] http://wp.me/pPRv6-2xC
– Roberto Meneghini (2011) = E. Bianchi & R. Meneghini, “Gli impianti scalari del Foro di Traiano,” Bullettino della Commissione Archeologica Comunale di Roma CXII, 2011, [PDF] pp. 78-117. http://wp.me/pPRv6-1Rj
– Poala Baldassarri (2013): see reference cited above.
– ROMA, ‘IL TEMPIO DI ANTONINO E FAUSTINA’ & ‘IL TEMPIO DEI DIVI TRAIANO’ (2013) = Roma, “Il Tempio di Antonino e Faustina – Le Colonne di Marmo e l’ iscrizione,” IL MESSAGGERO (14|02|2013) [PDF] p. 49. = Dott.ssa Rosanna Friggeri’s & Dott.ssa Stefania Faro’s excavations and investigations at the ‘Il Tempio di Antonino e Faustina (2010-13).
– P. Baldassarri (2012) = P. Baldassarri, “Nuove indagini archeologiche a Palazzo Valentini. Il tempio dei Divi Traiano e Plotina,” FORMA VRBIS Anno. XVII / n. 5, Maggio 2012, p. 52. http://wp.me/pPRv6-17s
– James E. Packer (2013) = J. E. Packer, Il Foro di Traiano. Breve studio dei monumenti | Prof. Packer, una lezione affascinante in inglese sul Foro di Traiano Roma (10|2013). [ENGLISH] VIDEO YOUTUBE [1:00:13]. http://wp.me/pPRv6-2pu
– J. E. Packer (2013) = J. E. Packer, “The Atlante: Roma antica revealed.” [review of] A. CARANDINI (a cura di) con P. CARAFA, ATLANTE DI ROMA ANTICA. BIOGRAFIA E RITRATTI DELLA CITTÀ, (Electa 2012). 2 vols. Pp. 1086, [etc.], in: JRA 26 | Nov. (2013), pp. 553-561. http://wp.me/pPRv6-1S5
– J. E. Packer (2008) = “The Column of Trajan: the topographical and cultural contexts,” JRA 21.(2008), pp. 471-78 [PDF pp. 1-9]. http://wp.me/pPRv6-1sv
* = See: ROMA ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: ROMA – Il Foro di Traiano – Tempio di Traiano – scavi (1998-2015 & 1989-97). | The Forum of Trajan – Temple of Trajan – excavations (1998-2015, 1989-97). Foto & Publications 1 thru 323.
** = ROMA ARCHEOLOGICA & RESTAURO ARCHITETTURA: AA.VV., “L’ ATHENAEUM DI ADRIANO – ATTI DEL CONVEGNO, ROMA PALAZZO MASSIMO (22|09|2011),” in: BDA ONLINE | MIBACT (NO. 2-4. 2013), [PDF], pp. 1 di 220. [12|2014]. See: L’ ATHENAEUM DI ADRIANO = Foto & Publications 1 thru 291. http://wp.me/pPRv6-2F4 & https://www.flickr.com/photos/imperial_fora_of_rome/sets/72157618784453605